French International School, Hong Kong
Henning Larsen Architects & AGC Design
Henning Larsen Architects, partnered with local architect AGC Design, to create the French International School campus in Hong Kong (HK).
The project aimed to expand and improve the school’s amenities, creating a vibrant, sustainable, innovative and flexible learning environment that reflects the most contemporary pedagogical standards in education. Set behind a kaleidoscopic façade laid across a grid of 627 multicoloured tiles, the school offers a green oasis in the densely populated city.
The project comprised:
- 19,600m2 total floor area set over 5 levels
- State-of-the-art sports facilities including a large swimming pool and gymnasium
- 300-seat auditorium
- Canteen and open-plan spaces, accommodating 1,100 students
Images courtesy of Henning Larsen Architects
Marshall Day was engaged as both acoustic and theatre consultants for this project. Our scope included sound insulation, building services noise control, room acoustics, vibration as well as theatre design consulting for the school’s new theatre which will act as a community venue, available to be hired out to the community and operated independently.
The spaces consist of a series of generous open-plan spaces referred to as ‘villas’, large light-filled common areas which act as an inspiring amphitheatre type open space that encourages group activities and collaborative learning, surrounded by smaller classrooms and activity spaces.
The project was approved in 2016, with the school opening in September 2018.
- International Architecture Awards 2019, Winners – Schools and Universities
- AIA International Region Awards 2019, Merit Award – Open International – Architecture
- AIA International Region Awards 2019, Sustainable Future Award
- 2019 A&D Trophy Awards – Excellence: Architecture: Institutions